Thursday, May 17, 2007

Unintentionally Untethered

This morning I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with the incredible urge to pee.

Okay, that's not an unusual event. My bladder generally wakes me up most nights sometime between 2:00 and 4:00.

But as I made my way through the darkness to the washroom this morning, I realized that I was experiencing the all-too-familiar dry, 'cotton-mouth' sensation. The unquenchable thirst. I thought to myself, "Damnit, my blood sugar must be high. I guess I didn't take enough insulin with the popcorn I ate earlier."

When I arrived at the washroom, I reached for the waist band of my pajama bottoms in order to pull them down and do my "business". Something seemed different though. Something was missing.

"WHAT THE F***?" I shouted in my head. "Where the hell is my pump?"

Turns out that I forgot to re-attach it after putting on my pajamas before bedtime. When I got back to my bedroom, sure enough the pump was perched atop my dresser. I grabbed it, and my test kit from the night table, all the while cursing under my breath. BF stirred slightly and asked what was wrong. I just said, "my blood sugar is high" and left it at that since he was half asleep.

I went back out to the living room so as not to disturb BF further. I primed the line a bit, re-attached my pump, tested at 18.9 (340), and gave myself a correction bolus.

In my 10-month history as a pumper, that was the first time I had ever forgotten my pump.

When I awoke at 7:00 a.m., I tested again and my blood sugar was down to 10.4 (187). I took another small correction, and carried on with my usual morning routine.

I took a hot, long-ish shower (longer than 5 minutes, but less than 10). I got out and wrapped myself in my thick and comfy terrycloth robe. I went out to the living room and sat next to BF on the sofa. We chatted and laughed for about 20 minutes, mostly about nonsense, as we always do.

Just before I got up to continue getting ready for work, he asked me what the commotion was all about in the middle of the night. I told him about forgetting my pump on the dresser and how I felt like a moron for doing so. As I stood up from the sofa, I suddenly realized that my robe felt lighter than usual.

HOLY SHIT, I DID IT AGAIN???

When I get out of the shower, I usually re-attach my pump to its site and put the pump in the pocket of my robe.

You would think that after forgetting my pump earlier, I would be more aware and careful to not do it again. But in less than 12 hours, I forgot my pump TWICE!

Another D moment for the books!

3 comments:

George said...

I hate that quick moment when you figure it out. I get angry, scared, confused, and paranoid that I may do it again.

You are not alone on this one.

Scott K. Johnson said...

I've done that before too. Crazy. It's almost unbelievable that we could forget something that is normally attached to us 24x7x365.

Bernard said...

Yeah

Why don't they build in an alarm that yells "HEY STOOPID" from across the room if we don't reconnect after showering.

I mean, how hard would that be to implement? And I'd like a heavy New Yawk accent when it yells at me.