Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Observation from a non-diabetic

We spent the weekend doing yard work at my house. June is fast approaching and I need to improve the "curb appeal" of my house in order to get top dollar when I put it up for sale next month.

(I won't get into the series of lows I experienced as a result of hours of shoveling and swinging a hammer, or the aches and pains of muscles I didn't know I had...)

On Saturday, we replaced the old, junky, chain-link fence along the right side of the yard with a new, wooden fence. I was busy digging a hole for the next post, while BF put up the first section of fence. When I thought the hole was almost deep enough, I stopped digging to get the fence post and place it in the hole to see how close I was. As I picked up the post, I caught my middle finger on a small, sliver of wood sticking out. I dropped the post and loudly cursed the stinging feeling coursing through my finger.

BF asked what happened and I showed him the wee sliver sticking out from my finger, expecting his usual sympathy and comforting hugs and/or kisses. He did reach out to hug me, but at the same time had a grin on his face and laugh welling up from his chest. Not amused myself, I asked him why he was laughing.

"I just think it's funny that you can purposely stick your fingers a dozen times a day and not flinch, but you get a sliver and it sounds like your whole finger was cut off."

The comment put my nose out of joint for a few minutes (me: "It just isn't the SAME!..." - he was kidding of course, he totally gets how the two are different), but now that I've had some time to reflect, it IS pretty funny...

2 comments:

Allison said...

It's like diabetics and flu shots! UGH!! Crazy, we know, but that doesn't keep us from hating it so. Besides, I think slivers hurt more because they are in there longer. Finger pricks don't usually hurt much because it's such a small needle and goes in pretty quickly. Maybe it's just me and the callouses I've developed over 13 years, but I rarely feel them these days.

But a sliver...ouch!

Cara said...

It's like the people that can't understand that I HATE needles!! Sure I gave myself 4 shots a day for about 21 years...but that's not the same. I think it's just letting someone else have control of the needle. ;)