Thursday, May 3, 2007

Basal rate changes

On Tuesday, I wrote that I thought my site had "gone bad" and that I wasn't absorbing insulin efficiently.

After reading your comments and realizing it's-better-to-be-safe-than-sorry, I was planning to change my site in the evening. But 2 hours after dinner, my blood sugar had stabilized again, and my sugars stayed stable throughout the night and into the next morning.

I woke up yesterday morning with a fasting sugar of 5.4 (97). Perfect, right? However again, throughout the morning and afternoon, my blood sugars began to climb again, hovering around 12.0 (216) for most of the day. It finally came down again in the evening after going for a nice walk at the waterfront.

Today, similar story. Nice fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning, but I can see it climbing again.

So, it looks like it wasn't a bad site, but a signal for a need to make changes to my basal rates.

I find it so odd how my basal rates can go off track suddenly. This isn't the first time it has happened. I don't recall doing anything different in the past few days that would trigger a change. I have been exercising more in the past 3 weeks, and if anything, that should make my basal rates go down, no?

I guess it's just one of those things I will never fully understand...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experience the same thing. My basal needs seem to change now and then. I think I can correlate it to more stressfull times during the year, mostly school, but nevertheless adjustments are needed. I am taking Lantus so my "rates" are not as precise as a pump user but a couple units drop or gain is a noticeable difference.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Good detective work!