Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I always wanted an indoor pool.

My boyfriend (I'll just call him BF) wakes up at 5 a.m. every day for work. Although the alarm is on my side of the bed, it doesn't usually bother me much and I don't often notice him getting out of bed. But lately for some reason my nights have been restless, so I've been extremely tired throughout the days. Knowing this, he's been doing his best to not disturb me when he leaves (he usually pounces on me to say his goodbyes and I love you's), so I knew there was something wrong when he forcibly shook my shoulders to wake me up this morning.

"Babe, you need to get up. There's a problem in the basement..."

A half an inch of water covered all of our hard work of the past 6 months. We've been living at my house and busy renovating it in order to sell this spring/summer. BF owns his house too, so when we decided to start living together, we determined that it made more sense to sell my house than his (especially with my hope of going back to school in September to change careers).

Anyway, the biggest project was my basement. We knocked out a wall, put up another one in a place that made more sense and opened it up so that there's now a large rec room, and we put down laminate flooring throughout. It really brightened up the space and easily increased the potential selling price.

Now it's all ruined.

We both took the day off work to deal with the mess. First thing this morning, I checked with my insurance company, and unfortunately this particular damage is not covered under my policy. It appears to be an issue with the weeping tile - if it had been due to sewage back up or sump pump failure, it would have been covered 100%.

We had to rip up all the flooring to mop up the water and dry out the concrete floor. And right now BF is in the basement tearing down all the new drywall we had put up just before Christmas to determine where the water is coming in from.

I'm trying not to cry a river - I don't need any more water in my house!

No comments: